Citizens divided on pipeline construction - 237 responses

Mar 23, 2014

While the exact causes may be in dispute, the fact that the cost of electricity is rising is not, as rates have increased 55 percent in New England in the past year. Electricity providers claim more regional gas pipelines are needed and all six New England governors have stated their respective support for a tariff that would help pay for them. On March 23, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “To control long term electricity costs, should New Hampshire support a program of natural gas pipeline construction?”

“To control long term electricity costs, should New Hampshire support a program of natural gas pipeline construction?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Pipeline Construction NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 88 participants gave 237 responses

A total of 60% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 40% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 88 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 237 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

Yes: A majority, at 53% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of a program of natural gas pipeline construction. 

  • Several respondents noted it was a viable solution provided it could yield tangible benefits.
  • Others cited it as cost-effective when compared to other choices. "It is far cheaper per therm than any other fuel/utility source."

No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 47%, were opposed to a program of natural gas pipeline construction. .   

  • “We should be building wind farms and investing in solar power. Gas and oil should become memories.”

Other: As noted above, 40% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:  

  • The reliability of alternative energy sources: "Winds don't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine."

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.