Majority oppose mandating use of the prescription drug monitoring program - 210 participants

Mar 16, 2016

A hot item on the legislative agenda this session has been mandating use of the state’s prescription drug monitoring program. One bill requiring medical professionals to query the database before writing a prescription has already been signed into law, but the provision is contingent on funding for needed technical upgrades to the system. Read more about this issue. On March 16, the LFDA decided to put this issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should New Hampshire medical professionals be required to use the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program database before prescribing some opioids?”

“Should New Hampshire medical professionals be required to use the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program database before prescribing some opioids?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Prescription Drug Monitoring Program NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 210 participants gave 439 responses

A total of 78% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 22% of participants –a higher than usual percentage - engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 439 responses from 210 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

No: The majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 65%, opposed mandating use of the prescription drug monitoring database.

  • “There are too many people in pain who can’t live without meds.”
  • “My doctor should not feel the need to consider ‘government red tape’ when choosing exactly what medication to prescribe. Keep politics out of family medicine.”
  • “The majority of people who use painkillers aren't criminals or drug addicts. NH needs to stop treating them as such.”

Yes: The minority, at 35% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, supported mandating use of the prescription drug monitoring database.

  • "How else are you doing to stop doctor shopping?”
  • “It will help keep the junkies from blaming doctors for their bad choices. And legitimate chronic pain patients won't be treated like criminals.”
  • “We should get on board with this. No valid reason not to.”

Other: As noted above, 22% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Sharing personal stories of pain or addiction: “I already can no longer get the meds I need for chronic documented pain.”
  • Commenting on how the current system functions: “It would be more useful if it didn't take 15 minutes to look up one patient.”
  • Discussing the relationships between doctors and pharmaceutical companies: “Part of the problem is that the United States is the only country where doctors can receive a commission for prescribing drugs to patients.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Do you think NH should mandate use of the prescription drug monitoring database? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.