Majority support allowing ballot selfies - 194 participants

Nov 08, 2014

Some Granite Staters elected to post ballot ‘selfies’ during this past election in protest of a law that prohibits them from doing so. On November 8, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH citizens be allowed to take and post a selfie of their marked ballots via social media?”

“Should NH citizens be allowed to take and post a selfie of their marked ballots via social media?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Ballot Selfies NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 194 participants gave 494 responses

A total of 57% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 43% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 194 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 494 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

Yes: A  majority, at 72% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of allowing citizens to take and post a selfie of their marked ballots via social media. 

  • “It's freedom of speech and does not suggest a crime has been committed. Does posting on social media who you voted for mean you were fulfilling a bribe?”
  • Others argued that posting a ballot selfie on Facebook was no different than sticking a bumper sticker on the back of a car.
  • There were calls to take action against the current legislation, including one from State Representative John A. Burt, who noted, “Representative Leon Rideout and I have a bill in to repeal this anti First Amendment law.”

No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 28%, were opposed to of allowing citizens to take and post a selfie of their marked ballots via social media.   

  • “Keep the law in place. If this person’s vote was bought, he just proved to the buyers that the transaction was indeed completed. It makes sense that this is prohibited.”

Other: As noted above, 28% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:  

  • Looking at both sides: "I understand why they don't want you to, but I also understand the free speech side of it—tough call."

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.