Majority support allowing female breast exposure - 1,450 citizens

Aug 05, 2015

Female protestors gathered on Hampton Beach on August 23, calling for women to have the right to go topless in public. Current NH law does not explicitly prohibit female breast exposure, but the “Free the Nipple” movement has drawn both impassioned criticism and strong support. In light of the controversy, the Live Free or Die Alliance (LFDA) put the question to Facebook members, asking “Should women who are not breastfeeding be prohibited from showing their breasts in public?” 

“Should women who are not breastfeeding be prohibited from showing their breasts in public?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Female Breast Exposure New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 1,450 participants gave 4,860 responses

A total of 66% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 34% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 1,450 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 4,860 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.

What Participants Said:

Yes: A majority, at 65% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of allowing women who are not breastfeeding to show their breasts in public.  

  • “If a man can go topless, why can’t we?”
  • “The only difference between a man who is shirtless and woman who is shirtless is that a woman's chest has the potential to produce milk.”
  • “I don’t think breasts are obscene and I don’t think there is anything wrong with a child seeing an uncovered breast.”

No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 35%, were opposed to allowing women who are not breastfeeding to show their breasts in public..

  • “It's not your right to tell parents what their children should see. You can undress, but other cannot unsee.”
  • “To some of us, it’s offensive. Have a designated beach at least.”
  • “Breastfeeding my babies and running around the beach top-less are two different things.”

Other: As noted above, 34% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.

  • Some expressed concern that topless women might invite unsavory elements to family-oriented places. 
  • Others indicated the entire debate seems pointless, as one respondent added, “Much ado about nothing.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.