Majority support allowing hunters to use silencers - 603 participants

Dec 12, 2015

After first passing a ban on hunting with a silencer in the 1940s, the House Fish and Game and Marine Resources committee is recommending that New Hampshire repeal the prohibition on hunting with a silencer. Read more about this issue. On December 12, the Live Free or Die Alliance (LFDA) decided to put the issue to its 100,000 Facebook members, posting the question, “Do you think New Hampshire should allow hunters to use silencers?”

“Do you think New Hampshire should allow hunters to use silencers?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Hunting with Silencers Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 603 participants gave 1,746 responses

A total of 82% of those who participated gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 18% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 1,746 responses from 603 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Citizens Said:

Yes: A majority, at 61% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of repealing the ban on hunters using silencers in New Hampshire.

  • "Suppressors are already legal to own in NH. If they don't get in the wrong hands now, why would legalizing them for hunting make a difference?”
  • “Yes, we should allow suppressors. They don’t silence the rifle, and they won’t lead to more poaching. It will reduce the noise signature and protect the hunters’ hearing.”
  • “It's a safety device. It brings the sound to a level that won't damage hearing.”

No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 39%, opposed repealing the ban that would allow hunters to use silencers in NH.

  • “That's just giv[ing] people the opportunity to use it not for hunting... There are so many things that can go wrong here.”
  • “I want to hear those guns going off so I will know precisely where not to be.”
  • “Very bad idea. Hearing the gunshots alerts anyone in the area to be cautious, knowing there are hunters in the area.”

Other: As noted above, 18% of participants did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Discussing the noise level produced by silencers: “Shooting with a suppressor is still loud, it just quiets it down a little.”
  • Debating the dangers to hearing if a silencer is not used: “How many hunters have hearing trouble from hunting?”
  • Expressing concern at the impact silencer legislation would have on hunting: “I like the idea, but I also see it as a possible gun control issue to regulate hunting out of existence by requiring them for hunting.”

*Editor selection of actual citizen quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Do you think NH should allow silencers for hunters? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Site-wide Search

Related Bill


Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.