NH split on criminalizing animal hoarding - 322 participants

Aug 14, 2016

Animal hoarders are individuals with a compulsive need to collect animals. A variation of hoarding disorder, those who suffer from this form of mental illness often do not recognize they have a problem. However, animal hoarding often results in unintentional neglect or abuse of pets. Read more about this issue. On August 14, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH prohibit animal hoarding?”

“Should NH prohibit animal hoarding?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Animal Hoarding NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 322 participants gave 680 responses

A total of 73% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 27% of participants, a higher than usual percentage, engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 680 responses from 322 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

No: A slight majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 51%, did not support prohibiting animal hoarding.

  • “I have no confidence in the state to make the criteria for such a law clear enough to be effective without over reaching.”
  • “No, because many of those animals would be put to sleep otherwise. Animals are better off living with other animals than being put down.”
  • “There are animal cruelty laws on the books. Enforce those.”

Yes: A slight minority, at 49% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, supported prohibiting animal hoarding.

  • "Yes. Someone needs to be a voice for the voiceless.”
  • “Definitely. If you can't afford to take care of them properly, then don't have so many.”
  • “It should be illegal for the benefit of both the humans and the animals.”

Other: As noted above, a larger than usual percentage, at 27% of those participating, did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Questioning why the government is involved: “There goes the government again trying to regulate what we can and what we can't do.”
  • Expressing concern at how to define animal hoarding: “There's a slippery slope between an active farm of rescue and a hoarding situation.”
  • Broadening the discussion: “Perhaps they should concentrate on getting the hoarder psychiatric help first.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Should NH prohibit animal hoarding? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill


Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.