Overwhelming majority favor allowing medicinal marijuana for chronic pain - 561 participants

Mar 07, 2017

Two bills currently under consideration in the Legislature, HB 157 and SB 15, would add chronic pain to the list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in New Hampshire. Read more about this issue. On March 7th, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should chronic pain be added to the list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana?” 

“Should chronic pain be added to the list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Chronic Pain Medical Marijuana New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 561 participants gave 1,015 responses

A total of 99% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 1% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 561 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 1,015 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.

[Note: Citizens Count NH also received additional comments from 69 individuals from outside New Hampshire.]

What Participants Said:

Yes: An overwhelming majority, at 100% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of adding chronic pain as a qualifying condition for medicinal marijuana.

  • “Yes… this decision should be between a doctor and his patient. No politicians involved.”
  • “Yes, absolutely. Marijuana does not ruin lives the way oxycodone and dilaudid do.”
  • “It's ridiculous that people that suffer from chronic pain should have to be restricted to narcotics or suffering. Marijuana needs to be legal in NH.”

No: No respondents from New Hampshire were opposed to adding chronic pain as a qualifying condition for medicinal marijuana.

Other: As noted above, 1% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.

  • Cost: “At $400 an ounce, I will have to get it the same way I do now.”
  • Politics: “The pharmaceutical [companies] are the ones holding it up.”
  • Personal anecdotes: “Sometimes my migraines are so bad, I can’t eat or sleep.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

SB 15 (2017)
Bill Status: Tabled in the House
Hearing date: Mar 21, 2017
HB 157 (2017)
Bill Status: Passed House and Senate
Hearing date: Apr 11, 2017

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.