Slight majority oppose road accommodations for pedestrians and bicyclists - 194 participants, 355 responses

Oct 12, 2016

A ‘Complete Streets’ approach to transportation development requires that municipalities routinely take into account the needs of pedestrians, bicyclists, and mass transit users as well as drivers when updating or developing roads. Read more about this issue here. On September 12, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH require that new or updated roads accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists?”

“Should NH require that new or updated roads accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Complete Streets New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 194 participants gave 355 responses

A total of 74% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 26% of participants, a higher than usual percentage, engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, this question received 355 responses from 194 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

No: The majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 58%, opposed NH requiring that new or updated roads accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists.

  • “Not at the expense of those paying vehicle registration and gas taxes.”
  • “Not all roads need them and [it] would cost tens-of-millions of extra dollars. And if it was mandated, peoples' land would most definitely have to be taken through eminent domain in order to meet regulations.”
  • “Enforce the rules and laws you already have in place. Another path will create a raceway.”

Yes: A minority, at 42% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of NH requiring that new or updated roads accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists.

  • “Yes—it is good for tourism.”
  •  “It's a good thing to make access to transportation available for cheaper vehicles like bicycles.”
  • “Yes, of course. Pedestrians and cyclist have just as much right to safely use the roads as do car and truck drivers. Too many roads don't allow safe use as they are set up.”

Other: As noted above, 26% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Current laws: “Can we get them to follow rules of the road first, like not running stop signs while not checking both ways?”
  • Attitudes of bicyclists: “Bicyclists feel all autos and trucks should get out of their way. If something happens it is always the fault of the vehicle and its licensed driver.”
  • Responsibility for road damage:” It’s the 18-wheelers that cause the brunt of road wear… autos pay their fair share to use the roadways. Bicyclists are freeloaders.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Should NH require that new or updated roads accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.