Strong support for marijuana legalization - 1,782 participants

Nov 04, 2015

The debate over marijuana legalization in NH looks likely to heat up next year, with two bills filed for the next session that would legalize and regulate the drug. In light of this move, the Live Free or Die Alliance (LFDA) decided to get a read on citizen views on the issue. The organization posed the question, “Should NH legalize recreational use of marijuana?” to Facebook members on November 4th.

Results: Breakdown of Yes vs. No Respondents

Marijuana Legalization 2015 Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 1,782 participants gave 4,947 responses

This was a very focused debate, with 92% of total citizens participating giving a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 8% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 4,947 responses from 1,782 citizens – a record-breaking rate of responses. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Citizens Said:

Yes: Opinion was strongly in favor of the move, with 91% of ‘yes or no’ respondents stating that marijuana should be legalized in NH.

  • “It should be legalized and should be regulated in the same manner as alcohol."
  • “No one should get a criminal record for smoking pot or growing their own for their own personal use.”
  • "It will help reduce organized crime in our state while bringing in more tax revenue.”

No: A small minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 9%, expressed opposition to legalization.

  • "Let’s not legalize more drugs in a state that already has a rampant drug problem.”
  • “We don’t need another intoxicant on the legal marketplace."
  • “It’s not all fun and games. I’ve witnessed firsthand where it leads."

Other: 160 citizens, making up 9% of total respondents, did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • How the question of marijuana legalization would be decided: ”Do we the people get to vote on this? Or just our state officials?”
  • What sort of regulation would be acceptable: “I don't know about this one. Adding new taxes and new government agencies to control (if that is indeed the case) is not necessarily a good thing.”
  • Other drug issues: “I'm less concerned with marijuana in NH... more concerned about heroin."

*Editor selection of actual citizen quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Do you think NH should legalize recreational marijuana? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Learn more about marijuana legalization in New Hampshire at our issue page

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Site-wide Search

Related Bill


Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.