Economy, Budget & Taxes

Overwhelming majority support legalizing industrial hemp - 894 participants

Dec 26, 2016

Rep. Daniel Itse is sponsoring a 2017 bill, HB 151, that would prohibit classifying industrial hemp as a controlled substance in New Hampshire. Current federal rules allow such states to grow hemp for research and development purposes, but commercial production is still illegal. Hemp plants are cultivars of cannabis that contain minimal amounts of THC. This means that hemp, though closely related to marijuana, has no psychoactive qualities and cannot be used for intoxication. Read more about this issue here. On December 26, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH legalize growing industrial hemp?”

Should NH legalize growing industrial hemp?

Industrial Hemp New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 894 participants gave 1,502 responses.

A total of 98% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 2% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 894 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 1,502 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

Yes: An overwhelming majority, at 97% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of legalizing industrial hemp in New Hampshire.

  • “Hemp is a remarkable plant that can't be used as a drug. Hemp has the potential to solve a whole bunch of our industrial problems without increasing our pollution and waste, so why would it be illegal?”
  • “Hemp has much potential to be used in pretty much everything. It would be an eco-friendly biofuel. We can actually reduce deforestation.”
  • “Why turn down an opportunity for jobs and economic growth?”

No:  The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 3%, opposed legalizing industrial hemp in New Hampshire.

  • “There is no reason for it any more. This is nothing but an excuse for pot heads to stay out of jail.”
  • “Decriminalize not legalize.”

Other: As noted above, 2% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. Most of these comments related to state policy on marijuana.

  • “This is about industrial hemp, not marijuana. Don’t confuse them.”
  • “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like many others use cannabis freely right in NH.”
  • “Cannabis is not the gateway drug our senators believe it to be.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 


Margaret Noonan
- Derry

Mon, 01/30/2017 - 4:34pm


Yes allow farmers in NH to grow hemp so we can produce wonderful products from the wonderful plant.

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

HB 151 (2017)
Bill Status: Passed House and Senate
Hearing date: May 02, 2017


Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.